The Punjab National Bank (PNB) is a state-owned multinational bank and financial service provider. PNB is of one of the most profitable and big banks of India. The headquarters of the PNB is present in New Delhi. The Punjab National Bank was nationalized in the year 1969 by the Government of India.
It is the first ever Indian bank to start with 100% Indian capital and have continued till date. The shares of the bank are traded on the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange.
The bank operates throughout India with 6809 branches and 9669 ATMs. The bank has its network in more than 750 cities. PNB also has international branches in Kowloon, Hong Kong, Kabul, Dubai and the United Kingdom. Along with the foreign branches, it has representative offices in Oslo, Sydney, Shanghai, and Almaty. The PNB has a strong presence in the Indian Subcontinent in Bhutan it owns 51% of Druk PNB Bank, in Nepal, it owns 20% of the Everest bank Limited. It also owns 84% stakes in the JSC PNB Bank of Kazakhstan. The total number of the employee of the bank is 32392 as of 2013.
At present Usha Ananthasubramanian is the Managing Director and the CEO of the Punjab National Bank. The bank has reported a revenue of ₹4748 crores in the year 2013. The total assets claimed by the bank in 2015 was ₹6435 billion.
The tagline of PNB is “the name you can BANK upon”. The mission statement of the bank is “Banking for the unbanked”. The vision statement of the bank reflects its ambitions to become a global bank and a household brand in the Indian subcontinent by providing the complete range of financial services.
Punjab National Bank was founded on May 19th in the year 1894. Lala Lajpat Rai is the founding father of the bank. It was created with the idea and ambition of a swadeshi bank with Indian capital and management. The goal of the bank was to represent all sections of the Indian community. The founding members of the bank were from the various part of the India and presented the huge Indian diversity, with the common objective of serving the economic interest of the country. The bank started its operations in 1895. After the independence, the bank has helped many migrants and displaced with its innovative schemes.
The Bank also has a history of acquisition like taking over the Bharat Bank Ltd. It has also merged with the 7 commercial banks from its commencement.
Products and services
- Personal Banking: it provides services like Deposits, Retail Loans, MSME Loans, Life Insurance, general insurance, agricultural business and priority sector lending.
- Corporate Banking: Under corporate banking, it offers services like corporate loans, exporters finance and importer finance. It also provides cash management services like funds collection module, fee portal, and E-CMS. Bank offers Doorstep Banking Services to its customers (Individual/Corporate) for pickup of cash from their premises/offices where proper KYC procedures have been followed.
- International Banking: The bank has many schemes like Foreign Currency Non-resident Deposit A/c Scheme (FD), Non-resident External Deposit A/c Scheme, Non-resident Ordinary Deposit A/c Scheme and money transfer schemes. It also has NRI Remit scheme and world travel scheme.
- Capital Services: Provides depository services with a secure and convenient way for holding your securities through ALL branches of the bank. PNB has also launched many mutual fund schemes. Its merchant banking division provides financial advice and services for large corporations and wealthy individuals.
- E-Services: The bank has e-services like retail internet banking, unified payment interface, mobile banking, SMS banking, green PIN- debit card, IMPS and e-statement services. PNB has also launched its Passbook Updating Machines, Cash Deposit Machines, and Electronic Cheque Deposit Machines.
Career opportunities in PNB
The profit making bank provides various demanding and highly paying job opportunities. PNB recruits for its PO and Clerk vacancies through IBPS examination. The successful candidates in the IBPS written exam are called for the interview with the bank. For more information on IBPS PO and IBPS Clerk follow our blog. Subscribe to the bank exam learning package to prepare online for the IBPS exam.